Volume attenuator with input selector and IR remote control kit - TAIV VC-03
Click HERE for ordering information
During development and building of high quality DAC and amplifiers, this project surfaced as most logical next step. After using variety of volume controls I experienced lack of features and flexibility, low value/price ratio, low end bulky design and poor performance – those are just some of the factors that created lots of setbacks. Volume control is not even a primary part of audio equipment, but slowly surfaced as a foundation on which state-of-the-art build can happen. Flexibility and functionality, top quality audio and seamless performance. And as much as I like mechanical resistor ladder switch with 64 or more steps – I didn’t want to jump to adjust volume on the amp every time. IR remote control was a “must have”.
Please welcome 3rd generation of universal volume control with input selector and IR remote capabilities - VC-03.
Philosophy behind VC-03 design:
1. Top audio performance as result of extensive component research and careful design and testing.
2. No sliding mechanical parts, like motorized volume pots. They age and are unstable under changing temperature conditions inside amplifier, DAC etc.
3. No digital volume regulating ICs like CS3310, PGA4311 and others. Not that they are evil, but take a look at datasheet and you will realize they need buffer stages to work with low input impedance amplifier schematics and need some buffer on input as well. Extra TWO stages to get best out of IC and no guarantied results because volume is regulated by semiconductor, non-linear element.
4. Minimalistic approach to volume attenuation – simple and reliable schematic, no audio signal distortions.
5. Flexible input selector (1 to 5 inputs).
6. Seamless controller performance with instant reaction, without delays or funny behavior.
7. Memory stored values for many parameters, like last input selected and its volume level etc.
8. Ultra-quiet power supply and maximum isolation of digital signals from audio circuitry.
9. Only Highest Grade electronic components, especially in audio path.
10. Possibility to use extended controller capabilities beyond volume control.
After 3 years of research, prototyping and 2 earlier versions, volume control VC-03 revision took shape. Firmware testing and debugging was taken very seriously to allow best possible user experience and flawless operation. VC-03 extends functionality of previous revisions, allowing it to use as control module for electronic equipment. Extended control ports, I2C architecture and flexible design can make it part of amplifier, pre-amp, receiver, DAC, control center and other designs.
OEM MANUFACTURERS ARE WELCOME – I will work with you to make VC-03 part of your product.
VC-02 inside LampizatOr DAC by Lukasz Fikus
VC-02 inside TARAS A100 Amlifier - Black and Silver version